2023 FAQ (FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS)
ABOUT JOINING AND VOLUNTEERING FOR LAMOILLE NEIGHBORS
Q. What is Lamoille Neighbors and what is its purpose?
Lamoille Neighbors is part of the Village-to-Village movement, an innovative nation-wide organization that has emerged in the last decade in the organizational field of support services for older adults. We are committed to helping our members age in a place of their choosing, closely connected to their communities.
Not only do we offer a wide array of services geared to keep our members active in the community, we also provide educational and social activities every month such as hiking groups, sunset walks, outdoor potlucks, music events, speaker events, Zoom article discussions, monthly Coffee Hour group, yoga, and more. Our aim is to form a sense of community, friendship, and active engagement for our older community members.
Q. What services are provided?
- Computer and Technology Help: For Mac, PC or both.
- Gardening: We offer light weeding, planting, raking-particularly spring and fall clean up, watering the garden, and help with indoor plants
- Handy work: Assistance around the home involving reaching, lifting, carrying heavy loads and help with some tasks such as: change a light bulb, hang a picture, carry out the recycling or pull-out the garbage cans, changing storm windows and screens, light rearranging of furniture, minor home repairs, and changing the batteries in smoke & CO2 detectors.
- Social Activities: A volunteer could come to your home and provide a friendly visit
- Transportation/Driving: Volunteer drivers will take a member to an appointment, event, or location as desired, such as take a member to do grocery shopping or shop and deliver groceries. Drivers can take a member to the beauty salon, a medical appointment, to church or synagogue or a meeting, to a movie or performance.
- Navigate the Healthcare System: A volunteer can assist with filling out forms, take notes during a visit to a medical provider, straighten out insurance forms and assist with scheduling follow-up appointments.
- Pre & Post Surgery Care (short term):Volunteers can provide meals post-surgery, take care of pet’s needs (feeding, walking, change kitty litter), and do some light housework, and laundry.
Q. How much does it cost to be a member of Lamoille Neighbors?
There is a yearly membership fee of $300.00 for an individual. Couples have a yearly membership fee of $450.00. Some scholarships may be available for a portion of the fee.
Are there any fees to become a volunteer?
No! Our volunteers are a crucial part of our organization.
Q. Why does it cost money to be a member of Lamoille Neighbors?
Lamoille Neighbors has expenses that include software, insurance, national village network dues, volunteer background checks, copying, mailings, sponsoring some events and the expense of one part-time employee.
Q. What do I get for my membership fee?
Members are entitled to a variety of services, approximately 8 per month, provided by our vetted volunteers. Also, there is inclusion in activities and events for members, opportunities for socialization, Zoom virtual discussions, exercise, and presentations; a weekly check-in phone call if desired and social visits.
Q. How do I know Volunteers are Safe to Come to My Home?
All volunteers for Lamoille Neighbors are vetted, which means that a criminal background check has been passed before a volunteer is accepted and allowed to work with our members. Our volunteers have health safety protocols they are required to follow for everyone’s safety.
Q. How do I get these services?
Members with a computer can put in a Service Request on the website, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not have a computer, just call the office at 802-585-1233 and someone will see about arranging a Volunteer for you. We ask that you give us notice of at least a week before you need services.
Q. How do I volunteer for Lamoille Neighbors?
Anyone who is interested can contact us by applying online on our website, emailing, or calling the office at 802-585-1233 and someone will get back to you within 24 – 48 hours. Lamoille Neighbors appreciates our volunteers and we have a Volunteer Coordinator who will provide instructions on what is required of our volunteers through the Volunteer Handbook and secure the required criminal background check, and driver’s background check if applicable. Volunteers will be trained on how to work with our system of providing services to our members. Our members are so appreciative of having the means to get transportation when they cannot drive; to get help with the household maintenance tasks that are overwhelming to them, yet usually take a few minutes for a volunteer to complete; and to get any assistance a volunteer can offer because it makes life a bit easier for them.
Q. I still have questions; how do I get my questions answered?
We will be glad to answer any of your questions. Just call us at 802-585-1233 or email us at email@example.com and someone will get back to you within 24- 48 hours.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN LAMOILLE NEIGHBORS!